Retail Manager Level 4 Apprenticeship
About The Course
Retail managers are responsible for delivering sales targets and a positive experience to customers encouraging repeat custom and loyalty to the business.
Leading and developing a team to achieve objectives and working with a wide range of people requires excellent communication skills. Maximising income and minimising wastage individuals must develop a sound understanding of business and people management principles which are essential to the job.
To qualify for an apprenticeship course, the following criteria must be met:
- Be aged 16+ at the time of enrolment
- Be a citizen of the UK or European Economic Area (EEA), or have lived in the UK or EEA for the past three consecutive years
- Be in full-time employment, working a minimum of 30 hours per week
- Not already hold a qualification at level 4/ foundation degree/HNC or above in the same area that you wish to study
- Be employed within a job role in which your day to day responsibilities support the knowledge, skills and behaviours
- Understand key drivers of customer journeys and how managing positive customer experiences increases sales, customer spend and loyalty, and the resulting financial impact on the business
- Understand the vision of the business, its competitive position and own role and responsibility in the delivery of business objectives.
- Understand the key drivers of profitable retail performance and the relationship of forecasting to the retail calendar; know how to analyse and use information for forecasting, and how to report on financial results. Identify the impact of different types of costs on the business and understand how to make effective use of resources
- Understand different leadership styles used in retail businesses and when to use them effectively to motivate and inspire the team to do their best
- Understand how to communicate and cascade information effectively at all levels and to a diverse audience.
- Keep up to date knowledge of product ranges, brand development, promotions, current and future trends
- Understand key features of merchandising and how these links with the business’ merchandising plan to achieve sales targets
- Understand how local demographics impact on business, customers, staff and products and how this impacts the business policies on diversity and equal opportunities
- Understand environmental, legislative, corporate, data protection and social responsibilities relating to retail businesses
- Implement business policy on diversity, ensuring team are aware of and know how to work effectively with colleagues’ customers and other stakeholders from wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Manage and continuously review adherence to legislation and regulations / policies for due diligence; handle audits and regulatory authorities such as the Environmental Health Officer appropriately
- Recruit the right people into the right job, monitor team performance and recognise excellence, effectively manage performance that is below standard
- Work with team members to maximise their potential and achieve organisation’s objectives. Implement effective and accurate training on products, services and legislation governing sales, such as age restricted products, trading standards and weights and measures
- Ensure technology is sourced, located, available, maintained and secured in line with business needs; oversee the use of technology in line with business policy, identify and make recommendations for improvement
- Monitor the stock management system to minimise the cost of damage to stock and the loss of stock to the business
- Ensure effective merchandising set up, monitoring and maintenance in own area of business.
- Analyse and interpret product / service sales information and use it to make recommendations for future planning
- Establish clear communication objectives, lead communications in a style and manner that is relevant to the target audience and achieves an effective result for the business
- Manage the overall performance of the team to achieve financial targets considering the retail calendar year.
- Manage the customer experience, including remotely
- Lead the team to achieve and exceed business objectives through forward planning, analysis, and evaluation of own business area.
- Take overall accountability and responsibility for the customers’ experience.
- Demonstrate personal responsibility for the strategic direction and objectives for own area of the business
- Demonstrate commercial acumen and confidence to initiate change to improve the financial performance and profitability in line with business policy, objectives and procedures
- Proactively seek to understand the marketing strategy of the business, gain knowledge of local area and competition, take action, or upwardly communicate recommendations on action, to improve the implementation and drive marketing activities in area of responsibility
- Adapt style and method of communication to the circumstances and needs of individuals intuitively, demonstrating appropriate skills such as empathy, fairness and authority as appropriate; seek and provide feedback in a positive manner
- Take ownership of the service offer, keeping self and team up to date with brand developments. Passionately take pride in new products and services actively promoting these with colleagues and customers
- Champion the brand and work closely with team and management to ensure brand reputation is upheld at all times
- Take ownership of stock management systems to meet current and projected business needs`
- Help team members balance work and life priorities, realise their potential and see the benefits of self- development and improvement.
- Be accountable, advocate and adhere to the importance of working legally in the best interests of all people
- Instil values which embrace the benefits of working in a culturally diverse environment
What Support Do Learners Receive?
Our programme is developed with a blended approach giving apprentices support in both the workplace alongside online learning resources to support their
Apprentices are provided with their own unique portal they can access to upload their work and receive feedback from their assessor.
Access to a vast amount of learning support materials that can be accessed at any time so they can make the most of their face to face training.
Dedicated Tutor Support
RM Training assessors support apprentices throughout the programme.
We will provide a single point of contact for any questions or help your apprentice needs.
Help apprentices to build their portfolio as the programme progresses.
Meet apprentices and their managers regularly in the workplace to check their progress and provide support where required.